Wollongong, casually alluded to as The Gong, is a sea side city situated in the Illawarra district of New South Wales, Australia. Wollongong lies on the restricted beach front strip between the Illawarra Escarpment and the Pacific Ocean, 82 KM south of Sydney. Wollongong’s Statistical District has a population of about 292,190 (2010 estimate.), making it the third biggest city in New South Wales and the tenth biggest city in Australia. The Wollongong metropolitan region starts from Helensburgh in the north to Shell Cove in the south. The city is noted for its heavy industry, its port movement and the nature of its physical setting, involving a tight waterfront plain between a practically constant chain of surf shorelines and the cliff-line of the rainforest-secured Illawarra slope. The city has a charm of its own with numerous attractions.
POPULATION OF WOLLONGONG IN 2017:
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Wollongong in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –203,181
- 2013 –205,157
- 2014 –206,666
- 2015 –208,875
- 2016 – 211,446
Taking a look at the population of Wollongong from the year 2012-16, it has been noticed that there has been an increase of 8265 in the past 5 years. Therefore, it has been seen that every year the population increases by 1653. Hence, the population of Wollongong in 2017 is forecasted to be 211,446 + 1653 = 213,099. So, the population of Wollongong in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 213,099.
Wollongong Population 2017 – 213,099 (estimaed)
DEMOGRAPHY OF WOLLONGONG:
By 1966 around 60% of the workers at the Australian Iron and Steel steelworks were born abroad, originating from more than 70 nations. These included British, Portuguese, Greeks, Croatians, Germans, Turks and Chileans. With the end of the White Australia strategy these were followed by Indo-Chinese evacuees in the 1970s, Indians, Chinese, Malays and Pacific Islanders in the 1980s as well as in the 1990s. In terms of religion, the city is mostly Christian. The real categories are Catholic (29.2%), Anglican (23.8%), while 14.8% of the populace affirms no religion.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF WOLLONGONG:
The population density of Wollongong is 305 persons per square kilometer. The population growth of the city in the recent years has been moderate with a bunch of few people coming in to settle here. This has somehow not helped the cause of population growth. The city has in the past 5 years has seen an upward trend as far as population growth is concerned.
FACTS ABOUT WOLLONGONG:
- Its warm climate and tremendous coastline makes perfect conditions for swimming and surfing. With immaculate waterways and great swell it is certain that you will discover perfect shorelines that are ideal for swimming or surfing.
- Wollongong’s social blend is reflected in the fantastic accumulation of eateries and bistros, all offering an elevated expectation of administration and cooking. The food options are infinite and incorporate dishes from China, India, Greece, Thailand, Spain, and Singapore.
- The city is picking up an international or global reputation for its greatness in arts. This is absolutely not surprising, as throughout the hundreds of years numerous acclaimed craftsmen have been attracted to the Illawarra locale for motivation.
- The city is situated in the heart of Australia’s Illawarra area. It’s limitless excellence, situated between the mountains and the sea fits city, seaside and countryside ways of life. Wollongong is situated after an hour’s drive from Sydney.
- Wollongong’s area, lifestyle, climate prompts an astounding choice of recreational activities for everyone out here.